Staged homes sell for more according to the National Association of REALTORS®, usually a LOT more. According to the data, staging your home can reap huge rewards at the point of sale. Putting in the effort up front can add as much as a 10% return on investment.
The Importance of Staging
Statistics have always shown that a staged home not only sells faster, but generally sells for more. Staging a listing is a strategic marketing method to help buyers imagine themselves living in your home. It gives a visual for how each room can be emphasized for its best features and functionality. If you want your home to make the best impression on the market, staging is key.
Here are some more interesting statistics on home staging:
- Staged homes sold for 25% more than unstaged homes. (Realtor magazine)
- Staged homes stayed on the market 73% less time than unstaged properties. (Professional Staging)
- 82% of Buyer Agents said home buyers were better able to see themselves living in a home when the house had been staged. (National Association of REALTORS®)
The Pros of Staging Your Home
Staged homes have shown to get more out of the price in a shorter period of time.
Staging a home allows buyers to see themselves living there, which increases their attraction to buy.
Staging makes listing photos look beautiful and stand out online. Make the first impression the best impression when potential buyers see your home online.
If your home is vacant, consider virtual staging. Today the technology is so good, that it is difficult to tell whether a home is virtually staged as opposed to actually staged.
Here is an example of one of my listings that was virtually staged:
Low Cost Upgrades with Great Return on Investment For Staged Homes
Replace bold old faded wall colors with soft neutral tones, such as beige or gray. Touch up kitchen baseboards, cabinets, trim, and molding.
Maintaining your landscaping is highly important for curb appeal. Remove weeds and dead plants. Have a freshly mowed lawn. Add some fresh flowers for color and life.
Lighten up any dark rooms by adding lamps and accent lighting if you can’t use natural light. Be sure to swap old light bulbs around the new house with brighter LED bulbs.
REPLACE OUTDATED APPLIANCES:
Outdated appliances can make the home feel older and unappealing to buyers. Updating your old white appliances with stainless steel options can add a lot of value to your home.
Flooring is one of the features in a home that holds a lot of value. Update/get rid of old carpeting and get your wood floors polished and your tile floors cleaned, including the grout.
The Game Plan for Staged Homes
- Walk through every room of your home and take note of things that need to be updated or thrown out.
- It would be beneficial to have a home inspector review any necessary repairs the home needs.
- Be sure to declutter your space and get rid of things you no longer use or need. A yard sale or a storage unit may come in handy in this situation.
Cleaning Is Essential
- Hiring a professional cleaning company to thoroughly clean the home is important.
- Have your rugs and carpets steam cleaned or replaced.
- Make repairs to any holes or cracks in the walls.
- After wall repairs, paint your outdated/faded walls with a fresh coat of neutral paint.
- Remove excess furniture that can get in the way of buyers walking through the home.
- Declutter your closet space so you can showcase how much room there is for storage.
- Declutter the rest of your home. Store away as many excess items as possible or host a yard sale to make some money.
- Be sure to lock up/hide any valuable items in your home, such as any expensive jewelry or cash.
Walk through each room of your home and make any repairs and updates to anything that looks damaged or outdated.
Kitchens and Bathrooms
- Vacuum and mop floors. Polish wood floors so they shine.
- Clean out pantry, cupboards, and the fridge. Toss out old food.
- Thoroughly clean appliances and fixtures, inside and out.
- Remove stains from toilets, showers, tubs, and sinks in your bathroom and kitchen.
- Replace old caulking
- Keep toilet seats closed for photos and before showings.
- Put away all of your personal hygiene products and toiletries.
The Final Touches
- Switch out any light bulbs that need to be replaced. Update old fixtures.
- Add fresh flowers and plants around the home to add a subtle scent and bring in life.
- Store away personal family photos.
- Declutter closets and storage spaces. Buyers will want to see the insides of these for space.
- Be sure to put away any children’s toys or pet supplies.
- Bake some cookies or light a natural smelling candle for a cozy scent.
- Wipe down all surfaces, declutter, and make sure the floors are picked up.
- Open up all blinds and turn on lights to brighten up the home.
Stage The Outside For Curb Appeal
- Refresh the paint color of your home exterior. Including trims, doors, and shutters.
- Power wash all exterior surface areas that have grime build-up.
- Add a fresh coat of paint to your door, if it needs it, and place a welcome mat and live plants by the door.
- Have the roof inspected for any looks or damages.
- Sweep up the patio and sidewalks.
- Maintain the lawn by keeping it mowed and weeds removed.
- Don’t forget to clean up any pet droppings so buyers don’t step on it.
- Have the downspouts and gutters cleaned of build-up.
- Open up your blinds and window curtains to let natural light in.
- Remove dead plants and add some fresh bright colored flowers to your landscape.
Conclusion About Staged Homes
Birmingham Alabama houses for sale in the upper bracket are expected to have these details covered. Luxury properties such as Mountain Brook AL homes for sale, Vestavia Hills AL homes for sale, Homewood AL homes for sale, Hoover Alabama homes for sale, and Chelsea Alabama homes for sale benefit from being well-staged before going on the market.
As an example, I had a recent luxury listing in Highland Lakes that was competing with other homes for sale in Highland Lakes and Greystone homes for sale. When the buyers walked in the door to my Highland Lakes listing, they said, “Ahh, this feels so much better! We realize the last house was a very nice house, but it was just so dirty and disorganized, we wouldn’t feel confident that it had been properly maintained. We just couldn’t see past all of the clutter.”
Needless to say, the buyers purchased my beautifully staged Highland Lakes listing.
When staging your home for sale, curb appeal, landscaping, cleanliness, and proper placement of furniture matter so much! Addressing these issues before listing your property can make or break a home sale.
Are you ready to get your home on the market with a smart game plan designed to sell your home for top dollar? Call Shannon Holmes to find out more about staging your home to sell quickly in the Birmingham real estate market! (205) 706-3975